Friday 9 May 2008

Sun Is Shining

I think that I might have chosen the worst possible moment to be half-heartedly seeking gainful employment.

No, I’m not referring to the fact that soon every single student will be looking for a job, nor indeed the current economic climate.

I mean, the weather’s just getting nice.

I spent the past few years bemoaning that with an autumn show the summer was the busiest part of the year and I have to wait until October to take any leave. Years of sweltering on the tubes, arriving at work stinking, virtually vomiting from the smouldering crush on the way homes. Finally, I don’t have to do all that and what do I do?

Take the winter off and need to work in the summer.

Idiot, idiot!!

The past few days have been so pleasant in the sudden sunnyness. I’ve had all the windows open plus the back door giving a gentle breeze and yesterday afternoon I ended up sitting in our poor excuse for a garden, extension wires trailing through the kitchen to the laptop. Bliss.

On Wednesday having been in college in the morning and with another workshop starting at six-thirty I decided not to go home and tried to work in the library. I think the air-con system must have been broken, though, for it was stifling. I lasted about forty minutes before having to escape into the fresh air. On my way out I passed a girl slumped seemingly unconscious at a desk; a friend was helpfully using his phone to take pictures of her stricken form.

I retreated to the back field and leant in the shade of a tree, continuing to write the first draft of something by hand. At the same time I tried not to look at the underdressed eighteen year olds.

Later, we sat on the balcony of the Royal Festival Hall, a cold beer to hand and chattered about books. The Thames stretched out below in one of those rare days when it feels a little like the Mediterranean and not disease riddled sludge.

It’s the little things.

Of course, today, I spring up in the morning, dress in loose cotton trousers and a thin t-shirt, eagerly anticipating another day of sunshine.

And it’s cloudy.

That was probably summer, then, now where’s my CV?

No comments:

Post a Comment